Cornish Pasty Recipe - Cornish-Style Meat Pies
This Cornish gummy is i of those rare recipes that novice cooks volition detect easier to brand than experienced bakers. That’s because to brand this to its original, too really sturdy specifications, you’re forced to over-mix the dough…a telephone commutation sin that literally gives pie makers nightmares.
Like whatever pastry dough, we’re but adding but plenty H2O ice H2O to select everything together, but dissimilar classic pie dough, we’re going to knead the mixture for a duo minutes by that point. Thanks to a lilliputian matter called musculus memory, this is non going to last slowly for some of you.
Get over it; because i time you lot gustation too experience the terminal product, it volition all brand sense. The tougher, but non tough dough is the perfect delivery arrangement for the meaty filling. Speaking of which, I went amongst a fairly traditional version, too provided the recipe below, but this cracking crust volition piece of job amongst all sorts of stuffings.
You could run cooked meat inwards these, but business office of what makes them thence good, is how the raw ingredients railroad train inwards their ain juices, field encased inwards the tasty dough. I can’t imagine many things that wouldn’t last cracking inwards these.
By the way, this recipe is dedicated to my mother in law Peggy, who requested it virtually 5 years ago. It was i of her favorite foods growing up, too I’m curious to take away heed how closed I got. I promise you lot laissez passer this easy, too delicious meat pie a endeavour soon. Enjoy!
Ingredients for four Cornish pasty
- 4 cups breadstuff flour (mine weighed inwards at 1-lb 2-oz)
- 2 oz (4 tbsp) mutual depression temperature butter
- 3 oz (6 tbsp) mutual depression temperature lard
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- about 2/3 to 3/4 loving cup H2O ice water, or plenty to but select dough together (start amongst virtually 1/2 cup, too and thence drizzle inwards to a greater extent than every bit needed)
For the steak filling:
- 12oz cubed beef skirt steak
- 1/2 loving cup diced onions
- 1 loving cup diced aureate potatoes
- 1/3 loving cup diced turnip
- 1 1/2 tsp tabular array salt
- 1 tsp freshly soil dark pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 tbsp butter, cutting into 8 sparse slices
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg, beaten amongst 1 tsp H2O
- Bake pasties at 350 F. for virtually an threescore minutes or until browned too bubbly