Beef On Weck, Role 1: The Kummelweck Scroll – You’Ll Live On Thirsty For More
Welcome to the kickoff of a two-part serial on ane of this country’s most delicious unknown sandwiches, the "Beef on Weck." This simple, only vivid creation features thinly sliced, horseradish covered, roast beef, piled high on a freshly baked kummelweck.
The roll's fragrant caraway seeds too coarse tabular array salt are a perfect accent, too when y'all add together a steaming ramekin of fresh beef jus for dunking, you’ll empathize why this is the pride of Western New York. Sorry, chicken wings.
As legend has it, a pub possessor inward Buffalo, New York created the sandwich, hoping the salty rolls made yesteryear a local German linguistic communication bakery would aid increase drinkable sales. That sounds almost right, too I produce convey it on really practiced say-so that beef on weck plant good alongside beer.
So, fifty-fifty if you’re non into roast beef, I nonetheless recommend y'all laissez passer on these cracking sandwich rolls a attempt soon. And, if y'all are into roast beef sandwiches, I invite y'all to rest tuned for what I believe is America’s finest example. Enjoy!
Ingredients for 12 Kummelweck Rolls:
- 1 envelope active dry out yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 loving cup warm H2O (105 F.)
- 2 tbsp vegetable stone oil
- 1 tbsp saccharide
- 1 1/2 tsp tabular array salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 generous tsp love
*3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour total (use 1/2 loving cup alongside yeast too H2O to start recipe)
* I mentioned a dough tip during the video, too that has to produce alongside non adding all the flour at once. I similar to add together almost 80% of the flour called for, too and then proceed adding pocket-sized amounts every bit the dough kneads, until I convey the perfect texture. You desire a soft, fairly mucilaginous dough that pulls off the sides of the bowl clean.
For the topping:
- 1 large egg white beaten alongside 2 tsp water
- coarse grain body of body of water tabular array salt
- caraway seed
- Bake at 425 F. for 18-20 minutes